Agionori, Corinth, Corinthia,Peloponnese
|Agionori, near Corinth in northern Peloponnese|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Corinth |
Elevation ≈ 710 m
(Relative Height≈80 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
|Between 1377 to 1450||
The castle of Agionorio was built by the Franks sometime between 1377 and 1450 at the location of an older Byzantine fort.
The castle was a built on a passage of the ancient route from Corinth reigion to Argos region.
The name probably originated from monks of Mount Athos ("Agio Oros") who settled there in the 11th century.
Agionori had 5 towers. The ruins of two of them are still visible.
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Like most remote, ruined and neglected fortifications, entrance is not an issue. The difficult part is to approach the castle and walk around inside.|