Pyrgi, Chios, North Aegean
|North of the village Dotia in south Chios|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|North Aegean |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Chios |
Elevation ≈ 104 m
(Relative Height≈20 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
|beginning of 15th cent.||
The Tower of Dotia is situated close to Pyrgi village (in 'Dotia' region) on the road to Vroulidia beach in south Chios, in one of the most significant mastic productive areas. T
The tower was built during the general fortification of the island by the Genoese at the start of the 15th century (1410-1415). Possibly, its primary role had been to survey the production of mastic, which was always important for the economy of the island.
This three-level building, constructed of light-grey limestone is in a state of ruin with its four walls being preserved except for the southern wall, which is partially destroyed.
It is rectangular in shape with dimensions of 14.28 x 15.70 and 18m in height. It has seven battlements on the eastern and western sides and four of the southern and northern sides.
The tower did not have a door at ground level for defense purposes, but a lightweight ladder at the middle level. There were openings for ventilation and embrasures at the last level. It was enclosed with four-sided walling, which has preserved the traces and foundations of one of the four battlements that were situated on each corner.
- Website Chios Travel Guid - Tower of Dotia (Pyrgi)
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Like most isolated and neglected towers, the access to the surrounding area is free but the entrance inside is difficult and dangerous.|