Nea Epidavros, Epidaurus, Argolis,Peloponnese
Castle of Nea Epidavros
|Nea Epidavros, East Peloponnese|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Epidaurus |
• Nea Epidavros
Elevation ≈ 80 m
(Relative Height≈20 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
The castle is a settlement on a rocky hill not far from the sea. The old name of the village was Piada.
The 1st National Assembly of Greece took place in this village (Dec 1821-Jan 1822) and declared the independence of Greece. The castle however is not related to the assembly.
The medieval settlement existed since the Byzantine period. In 1205 the Venetians took the region under their rule and constructed (or reinforced) the walls of the fortification.
The settlement is still inhabited but only a few ruins of the walls remain.
Structure, Fortification & Buildings
There are some remains of the walls around the rock of the castle which was the “acropolis” of the old settlement.
The top of the castle is a small, narrow area about 2000 sq.m. There is almost nothing to see: Some scattered ruins and a renovated church which is the only building.
- Antoine Bon, 1969, La Morée franque. Recherches historiques, topographiques et archéologiques sur la principauté d'Achaïe (1205-1430), Editions de Boccard, pp.485
- Κορδώσης Μ., "Η Φραγκική Καστελλανία της Κορινθου. Τα κάστρα και η περιοχή τους", Πρακτικά Γ΄Παγκορινθακού Συνεδρίου, Κιάτο 2009, 225-226
- Καρποδίνη Ε., Κάστρα της Πελοποννήσου, Αθήνα 1993, 240
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Nea Epidavros is 117 km from Athens (less than 2 hours). There is a sign in the village to the castle. A paved path leads to the castle (10 min). The last meters are a little dangerous.|