Corfu, Corfu, Kerkyra,Ionian islands
New Fortress of Corfu
|Kerkyra city in Corfu Island|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Ionian islands |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Corfu |
|Elevation ≈ 20 m |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
The historical center of Corfu is marked by two fortresses: along the east side there is the Old Fortress on the sea, while on the west side there is the New Fortress. In the past, the two fortresses of Corfu were linked by large walls.r the moment.
The New Fortress or Fortezza Nuova has been constructed by the Venetians in the 16 th century on the hill of Saint Markos.
Under the supervision of the Italian architect Francesco Vitelli, the New Fortress of Corfu was built between 1576 and 1645 and many buildings were demolished in order to have enough material to build the fortress.
It was partially destroyed during the Second World War but the new fortress is still lovely with its old paved access road and its gate with the ancient lions, the symbol of Venice.
The new fortress is a heavy, imposing structure placed just above the old port and it is full of underground tunnels that run till the old fortress and the old Corfu town.
- Website corfu-kerkyra.eu - THE FORTRESSES
- Website CorfuHistory - Οχυρώσεις 17-18ου αιώνα
- Facebook page Προστασία και ανάδειξη των κερκυραϊκών οχυρώσεων
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Easy access from the center of the city of Corfu.|
|Other castles around|
|Tower of Garoufa|
|Fortress of Kassiopi|
|Old Fortress of Corfu|