Eudilos, Icaria, Samos,North Aegean
|On the peak of mount Koskinas, near Eudilos in Icaria island|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|North Aegean |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Icaria |
Elevation ≈ 670 m
(Relative Height≈550 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
A Byzantine castle built in the 10th century. It was the stronghold of the Byzantine city Dolichi. It remained important in the following centuries under Frankish rule.
The castle was renovated when the Genoans held the island (1362-1481) but it was deserted when they fled before the Turkish threat.
The small size of the castle indicates that its primary role was to house a small guard and to watch the sea routes around the island. Today some parts of the walls remain around the top of the hill. Inside, there is the church of Agios Georgios.
|Google search inside the site|