Castles of Greece


Lamia, Lamia, Phthiotis,Central Greece

Castle of Lamia

or Acrolamia  
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 <  834 / 867  > 
Castle of Lamia
Lamia, Central Greece
Region > Prefecture:   Greek Map
Central Greece
Municipality > Town:
City of Lamia
• Lamia
Elevation ≈ 180 m 
(Relative Height≈150 m)
Time of Construction   Origin
5th century  
Castle Type   Condition

A medieval castle with a long history. It is on a hill dominating the city of Lamia in central Greece offering a panoramic view to the valley of Spercheios river, the peaks of mountains Oiti, Kallidromo, Orthys and Parnassus, and the Maliakos gulf.

The location was fortified since the 5th century BC and was continuously used as a fortress until the World War II.

The castle obtained its current form mainly during the occupation by the Francs and the Catalans (beginning of 13th to middle of 15th century). The Ottomans, later, added some buildings inside the castle.


The location was already fortified in the 5th century BC, according to the findings in the base of the walls of the castle.It is certain that it was in use during the early and middle Byzantine periods.

The castle is mentioned for the first time in the beginning of the 13th century, in a letter from Pope Innocent III.

In 1218, it was captured by the Byzantines of the Despotate of Epirus under Theodoros Komninos. In 1273, it was given as a dowry to the Burgundian Guillaume de La Roche who later became Duke of Athens (1280-1287).

The Francs of the Duchy of Athens were defeated by the troops of the Catalan Company, in the battle of Kopais (1311). After this, the castle remained in the hands of the Catalans until 1446 when it was captured by the Turks.

In 1832/33, after the Greek Revolution, the castle was liberated and was used as an army base until World War II..


  • Website - www.ancientgreece.gr (obsolete page)

Your comments:

Google search inside the site

My "other" sites:

best quotes

Road map to Castle of Lamia

Approach to the monument:
Easily accessible from the city of Lamia.
Open: Tuesday-Sunday, 8.30-15.00 hrs.
Free Entrance.

  • End of 5th century BC. The location is already fortified
  • Begin 13th century. Occupation by Francs. The castle is mentioned for the first time in a letter from Pope.
  • 1218: The city is captured by the Byzantines of the Despotate of Epirus
  • 1275: The castle is given as dowry to the Burgundian Guillaume de La Roche, later Duke of Athens
  • 1311: After the battle of Kopais, the castle falls in the hands of the Catalan company
  • 1446: The castle is captured by the Ottomans
  • 1832/33: Liberation after the Greek Revolution
  • 1984-1940: The castle is used as a base of the Greek army
  • 1973: The castle passes under the jurisdiction of the Greek Ministry of Culture
  • 1984: The castle is renovated and houses the archaeological museum

Other castles around
Castle of Mendenitsa
Stroggylokastro of Domokos
Castle of Ypati