Monolithos, Rhodes, Dodecanese,South Aegean
|Monolithos, on a rock at the west coast of Rhodes island|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|South Aegean |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Rhodes |
Elevation ≈ 350 m
(Relative Height≈120 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
The village of Monolithos is 73km from Rhodes. It is a touristic and picturesque village which took its name from the big rock, a monolith, hanging above it. On the top of the rock there is a castle.
There was a watchtower on the rock since antiquity and later a Byzantine castle. The castle was rebuilt in the 15th century by the knights of the Order of Saint John who occupied the island since 1309.
The reconstruction was done around 1476, when Grand Master of the Order was D’ Aubusson (1476-1503). His shield is carved above the gate of the castle.
It used to be one of the 4 strongest castles of Rhodes in the Ioannite period.
Nothing more is known about the history of the castle. It is certain that it passed under the control of the Turks after 1522, when the knights left the island. We can also assume that sometime, maybe in the 17th century, when piracy was no longer a major threat, it lost its significance and -being rather uncomfortable- was gradually abandoned.
Structure, Fortification & Buildings
The outer walls of the castle are in relatively good condition. We cannot say the same for the interior which is scattered with ruins. There are some water tanks and remains of the towers. There is also a little chapel (Agios Panteleimon).
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|The village of Monolithos is 73km from Rhodes. The castle is 3km from the village. The road is good but from the bottom of the rock there are 100 stone stairs that lead to the top and inside the castle.|
|Other castles around|
|Castle of Alimia|
|Tower of Amartos|
|Castle of Apolakkia|
|Castle of Asclipieio|
|Castle of Ebonas|
|Tower of Glyfada|
|Castle of Halki|
|Castle of Kattavia|
|Castle of Kritinia|
|Castle of Sianna|