Mylopotamos, Cythera, Piraeus & Islands,Attica
Castle of Mylopotamos
|800 m west of the village Mylopotamos, Kythira island|
|Region > Prefecture:|
Piraeus & Islands
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Cythera |
Elevation ≈ 260 m
(Relative Height≈50 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
The castle is actually a medieval settlement which was inhabited until the 1950’s. It is also named “Kato Hora ” and is very interesting, as many buildings are preserved in relatively good condition.
The settlement is in a short distance from the modern village Mylopotamos (Greek: Μυλοπόταμος, meaning "mill on the river"). It was named Mylopotamos because there are 22 watermills built along a small stream.
The castle was built by the Venetians in 1565, according to an inscription at the gate. The position controls the west coast of Kythira and the Ionian sea, but the primary usage of the fortification was rather the protection of the local population. Inside the castle there are remains of 9 churches from the 16th and 17th century.
|Google search inside the site|