Chora, Naxos, Cyclades,South Aegean
|Region > Prefecture:|
|South Aegean |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Naxos |
|Elevation ≈ 30 m |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
In 1207 Frankish rule was established in the Aegean. The Venetian Markos II Sanoudos built the fortress of Chora in Naxos with circuit towers, one of which, the Glezos tower (Crispi) is still preserved. Over the main entrance to the tower is the coat-of arms of the Crispi family.
The castle area in Hora is essentially a medieval town, preserved in the heart of the Aegean; it maintains more or less its original form. Inhabited continuously from 1207 until today, it contains a wall and the residential area which developed side by side; in a way, it is reminiscent of the rocky villages built on the Italian Riviera.
The outer walls of the houses on the edge of the city compose the wall, which had only three gates. At one of these entrances, on the north-westerly side, the original wooden door is still in its place (the gate called Trani). Above this, the main entrance to the castle, is the Krispi tower (or, as it is known today, the Tower of Glezos). This is the only one still standing out of a total of 12 - of the original defensive towers which were built all along the wall. Around the Duke’s palatial tower, the Venetians built their mansions, on some of which one may still observe their coats of arms.
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|There is no issue of access. One has simply to walk the old town of Naxos which is still inhabited.|
|Free access. It is an inhabited old town.|