Paliochori, Aristotelis, Chalkidiki,Central Macedonia
|On a hill south of the village Paliochori in Chalkidiki, Central Macedonia|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Central Macedonia |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Aristotelis |
Elevation ≈ 410 m
(Relative Height≈50 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
|5th century AD||
The biggest fortress in Chalkidiki. It was built in the 5th century AD at a location inhabited since the 15th century BC.
At some time, probably during the 6th century, the castle suffered severe damages and it was abandoned.
It was revived and repaired in the 10th century, around 915, but soon it was detroyed again. It remained in use as a fortified settlement until the 14th century.
The castle covers an area of 15,000 square meters and the length of the remaining walls is around 1000 meters, at a maximum height of 4 to 5 meters.
|Google search inside the site|