Oreoi, Istiaia-Aidipsos, Euboea,Central Greece
Castle of Oreoi
|Oreoi, North Evia|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Central Greece |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Istiaia-Aidipsos |
|Elevation ≈ 25 m |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
|13th century (?)||
On a hill above Oreos in northern Evia, you can find the ruins of the castle of Oreos or Oreoi (plural). According to legend , the hill is artificial, where thousands of people for years were carrying soil. They had left two underground secret entrances to the castle.
The castle was one of the two citadels that existed in Orei at the 4th century BC.
The castle was rebuilt during the Venetian rule again . In 1275, it was seized by the knight Licario who used it as a base of operations against the Franks.
Today, only a few ruins are visible in the site which is completely neglected. Some parts of the walls of the fortification can be spotted, to a maximum height 2.5m.
- Alex Kalantzis , website Κάστρα της Ελλάδας
|Google search inside the site|