Pigadi, Almyros, Magnesia,Thessaly
Castle of Pteleos
|Pigadi, Achilios Bay, Thessaly|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Almyros |
|Elevation ≈ 50 m |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
|beginning 13th cent.||
Pteleos was always an important port for the Venetians.
The tower was built shortly after the Venetians occupied the region, in the early 13th century. It was a part of a medieval settlement of around 20,000 sq.m., from which several elements have been discovered recently.
The tower is 10m high. The dimensions of the base are 8mx8m. The entrance was at an elevated level for safety.
The tower and the settlement were populated until 1470, when the Turks occupied Pteleos immediately after they had taken the city of Chalkis. After that the port declined and the tower was not used.
|Google search inside the site|