Συμι, Symi, Dodecanese,South Aegean
Castle of Symi
|Ano Chora of Symi, Dodecanese islands|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|South Aegean |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Symi |
Elevation ≈ 130 m
(Relative Height≈130 m)
|Time of Construction||Origin|
The castle is on the slopes of the hill overooking the port of Yialos and the town of Symi.
It used to be an ancient acropolis in the location and the ancient walls became part of the castle built there by the Knights of the Order of St John in 1407.
It was never a particularly strong or impressive castle but was sufficient for the protection against pirate raids.
The little bay is not visible from the open sea and the Knights kept there a fleet of light ships. A small arsenal built and repaired these vessels. Over the years, the islanders acquired a reputation as carpenters which lasted until the early XXth century.
The castle and the island remained at the hands of the knights until the Ottoman conquest in 1522.
- The last 4 pictures were sent by από Владимир Джевелеков
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Other castles around|