Paleochora, Kandanos-Selino, Chania,Crete
Castle of Selinos
|Paleochora, Chania area, at the south coast of Crete|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Kandanos-Selino |
|Elevation ≈ 20 m |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
The Castle of Selinos in Paleochora Chania, was founded by the Venetians. It was built by the Duke of Crete Marino Gradonigo in 1282 who named it “Selino”. The name came from the plant celery, which is abundant in the region
In 1332, the Cretan rebels demolished the castle, which was rebuilt in 1334 by the Venetians.
Eight years after the conquest of Chania by the Turks in 1653, the new conquerors besieged the Castle of Selinos by sea and by land, until it was finally taken over and demolished again in order to be rebuilt later.
Nowadays, only some ruins of the Castle are preserved, the majority of which date from the Turkish rule.
The fortress was almost square. It consisted of two towers on the south side and one on the north. Like all the forts, there were cantonment areas, residences for the officials, a church and small water tanks. These two towers are still visible among the rest of the ruins of the Castle of Selinos.
|Google search inside the site|