Kastrologos
Castles of Greece

lens

Lisvori, Lesbos, North Aegean

Tower of Lisvorio

  
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 <  539 / 855  > 
Tower of Lisvorio
Location:
At the middle between the village Lisvori and the beach Skamnioudi, at the eastern side of the bay of Kalloni in Lesbos island
Region > Prefecture:   Greek Map
North Aegean
Lesbos
Municipality > Town:
City of Lesbos
• Lisvori
Altitude:
Elevation ≈ 10 m 
Time of Construction   Origin
late 14th or early 15th  
GENOAN
H 
Castle Type   Condition
Tower  
Few Remains
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A few remains of a tower which is believed that it has been part of a larger castle or house located between the village Lisvori of Lesbos and the beach Skamnioudi at the eastern side of the bay of Kalloni.

A stone with the sign of the Byzantine emperor Manouil ΙΙ Paleologos was found at a chapel of Agios Nicolaos nearby and it is known that it was taken from the tower (together with a lot of other stones probably, hence the condition of the monument). This fact enables us to date the construction of the tower around the end of the 14th or the beginning of the 15th century.

In that period, Lesbos was ruled by the Gateluzzi family from Genoa who had received the island as a dowry in 1355 by the Byzantine emperor Ioannes V Paleologos, father of Manouil II, who was a relative of the Gateluzzi and officially their king.


Sources


Your comments:


Google search inside the site

castle


Road map to Tower of Lisvorio

Access
Approach to the monument:
-
Entrance:
Free access


Other castles around
Castle of Agiasos
Tower of Ambeliko
Palaiokastro of Kalloni
Ovriokastro
Paliopyrgos of Vrisa