Kastrologos
Castles of Greece

lens

Andros, Cyclades,South Aegean

Tower of Ostodosia

or Castle of Macrotantalo  
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 <  649 / 855  > 
Tower of Ostodosia
Location:
Pyrgos beach on the north-western side of Andros island, Cyclades
Region > Prefecture:   Greek Map
South Aegean
Cyclades
Municipality > Town:
City of Andros
• 
Altitude:
Elevation ≈ 5 m 
Time of Construction   Origin
probably 13th cent.  
VENETIAN
H 
Castle Type   Condition
Watchtower  
Not Good
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A coastal tower on the cape of the rocky beach of Pyrgos at the northeast edge of the west coast of Andros island. A typical example of Venetian fortifications of this kind.


History

After the 4th Crusade and the Fall of Constantinople in 1204, the Latins turned to other parts of the Byzantine empire. Andros was captured by the Venetians in 1207. Their leader was Marino Dandolo, a nephew of The Doge of Venice, Errico Dandolo, one of the heads of the 4th Crusade.

The Venetians built three major castles in Andros: the Lower Castle (the modern Chora), the Upper Castle (also known as Phaneromeni) and the fort of Makrotantalo (or Ostodosia). The first two were fortified settlements, while the third was a simple outpost, probably manned by a small garrison.

The fort of Makrotantalo, though being smaller in scale, bears strong resemblance to the Lower Castle, from a morphological and structural point of view. In earlier maps both castles were similarly depicted, with a round-arched stone bridge connecting them to the land.

The main castle was at the coast and nothing is left from it. It was already abandoned in the 15th century. The only remnant is this tower on the rock which might be a much younger (than the original castle) watchtower. The tower was used until the 17th century.


Your comments:


Google search inside the site


Road map to Tower of Ostodosia

Access
Approach to the monument:
-
Entrance:
The access to the surrounding area is difficult but free


Other castles around
Tower of Agios Petros