Kastrologos
Castles of Greece

lens

Goumero, Pyrgos, Elis,West Greece

Goumero Castle

or Vumero castle  
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 <  252 / 860  > 
Goumero Castle
Location:
On a low hill between the villages Goumero and Agia Anna in Eleia, in Peloponnese
Region > Prefecture:   Greek Map
West Greece
Elis
Municipality > Town:
City of Pyrgos
• Goumero
Altitude:
Elevation ≈ 615 m 
(Relative Height≈80 m)
Time of Construction   Origin
probably 14th century  
FRANKISH
H 
Castle Type   Condition
Piles of stones & Ruins  
Few Remains
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Remains of a castle which must have been Frankish (with a probable Byzantine past) on a low hill in the mountainous part of Eleia, north of the village Goumero.


History

The castle has been identified with the Vumero or Goumero or Vouneri which first appears in the list of the fiefs of 1377 and, later, of 1463. There is not the slightest reference to Goumero before 1377, so we can assume that it was built around the middle of 14th century.

The Chronicle of Sphrantzes reports that [in 1470] Voumeron was one of the castles surrendered by the Venetians to the Turks.

The name is probably of Slavic origin, although other etymologies have been discussed like from Vromi ("oats") or Vromeron ("filthy" ).


Structure, Fortification & Buildings

Researchers from the early 20th century (Papandreou Sphicopoulos) describe the castle as follows:

Total area approximately 200 sqm. It had an elongated shape with a length of 600 meters and a width ranging from 8-10m in the northeastern side up to 50 meters in the northeast.

There are traces of a tower on the east side. Traces of some buildings and tanks had also been observed within the circuit wall.

Antoine Bonn who visited the site in1946, reported a well-built exterior circuit wall.

Modern researchers (including those of the Morea project in the 90s) found nothing and considered the fort completely destroyed. This is a bit strange because it is not very likely the ruins spotted by earlier researchers to completely disappear.

One possible explanation is the fact that the area was covered by dense forest until recently. After the great fire of 2007, the hill was cleared and some traces of the castle are now visible.


Sources

  • Konstantinos Kourelis, “MONUMENTS OF RURAL ARCHAEOLOGY MEDIEVAL SETTLEMENTS ΙΝ ΤΗΕ NORTHWESTERN PELOPONNESE”, Presented to the Faculties of the University of Pennsylvania in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, 2003, pp.272
  • Antoine Bon, 1969, La Morée franque. Recherches historiques, topographiques et archéologiques sur la principauté d'Achaïe (1205-1430), Editions de Boccard, pp.331,344



Your comments:


Google search inside the site