Ierapetra, Ierapetra, Lasithi,Crete
Kales of Ierapetra
|Port of Ierapetra, southern Crete|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Ierapetra |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
A Venetian (or perhaps Genoan) castle at the port of Ierapetra with a Tutkish name.
Τhe Venetians occupied Crete in 1212 and held it until the middle of the 17th century.
The castle of Ierapetra was built to protect the port and the city some time in the 13th century by the Venetians.
According to a not verifiable version, it was built by the Genoan pirate Enrico Pescatore in 1212 and immediately after was sold to the Venetians.
In 1508, it was destroyed by a strong earthquake and was not repaired fully. In 1626 the admiral Morozini made some repair works.
The Ottomans captured Ierapetra in 1647 and renovated the fort.. They also built another larger castle in Ierapetra as well as city-walls that were destroyed by the Greek population after the liberation of Crete.
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Easy access from the port of Ierapetra.|
|Other castles around|
|Tower of Ambela|
|Koules of Episkopi|
|Koules of Pachia Ammos|
|Tower of Vainia|
|Koules of Vasiliki|