Fylla, Chalkis, Euboea,Central Greece
Twin Towers of Mytika
|Mytikas-Fylla junction, 10 km east of Chalkis, Evia|
|Region > Prefecture:|
|Central Greece |
|Municipality > Town:|
|City of Chalkis |
|Elevation ≈ 40 m |
|Time of Construction||Origin|
Two towers close to each other in the center of Evia island between the villages of Mytikas and Fylla.
The towers are on a low hill with two peaks. At the foot of the hill flows the river Lilandas. They are Venetian forts built probably in the 15th century to protect the water supply system to Chalkis. There is a report from 1429 that one of the towers was the seat of the river master, the Venetian official in charge of the operation of the system.
The eastern tower has a square layout with 6.10m leνgth at each side. The entrance is 6m above the ground. The special feature of this tower is the 4 round openings at the top of each side, which according to one theory, they were clock cases. If this is true, this was the first clock-tower in Greece.
The dimensions of the base of the other tower are 7.5mx7.0m.
- Video by the userhaanity Οι Δίδυμοι Πύργοι | The Twin Towers DJI Phantom 3 Drone Greece
|Google search inside the site|
|Approach to the monument:|
|Tower of Avlonari|
|Tower of Koutoumoula|
|Tower of Politika|
|Tower of Trachili|
|Tower of Vasiliko|