Kastrologos
Castles of Greece

lens

Amfipolis, Amfipoli, Kavala,East Macedonia & Thrace

Chrysopolis

  
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 <  457 / 860  > 
Chrysopolis
Location:
South of Amfipolis, at the lagoon of the outfall of Strymon river in Macedonia
Region > Prefecture:   Greek Map
East Macedonia & Thrace
Kavala
Municipality > Town:
City of Amfipoli
• Amfipolis
Altitude:
Zero Altitude
Time of Construction   Origin
decade of 1320  
Late-BYZANTINE
H 
Castle Type   Condition
Fortified Settlement  
In Ruins
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Chrysopolis or Chrysoupolis was a byzantine port city that developed after the 10th century at the delta of Strymonas river and grew to become an important port.

It is close to Amfipolis on a lagoon that in the autumn is full of flamingos. It should not be confused with modern Chrysoupolis located east of Kavala.

As a genuine Byzantine city, Chrysopolis was protected by a fortification, a few remnants of which are still standing today.


History

Chrysoupolis seems to have succeeded the early Christian city of Amphipolis, located a bit to the North which was ceased, as recorded to the written sources since the 7th century. The archaeological remnants indicate that Chrysoupolis was founded in the mid-Byzantine period and was an important settlement in the area, where most commercial activities of the Strymonas Valley were gathered. The same period was also a commercially active port.

During the 14th century it played an important role which is why Andronikos III Palaiologos included it to the positions he wanted to fortify (during the Byzantine civil war 1321-1328). In 1357, the emperor Ioannis E' Palaiologos, granted the settlement to the brothers Alexios and Ioannis, who had earlier taken it over from the Serbs. Around 1380, Chrysoupolis is taken over by the Ottomans without losing its importance as a commercial center and a station on the way from Thessaloniki to Constantinople.

In the 16th century, although its name is still being referred to, the city seems to be abandoned, but there was still activity in the harbor area although it didn't have any permanent residents. In the 18th-19th centuries a new bloom of the financial and trading activities of the area is being recorded.


Sources

  • Website OLKAS - Chrysoupolis
  • Website ΟΔΥΣΣΕΥΣ - Greek Ministry of Culture Χρυσόπολις-Ηϊόνα
  • Information by Mr. Kostas Ketanis
  • Dunn, A. 1982, The survey of Khrysoupolis and Byzantine fortifications in the lower Strymon valley, Akten XVI Inetrnationaler Byzantinistenkongress. (Wien 4-9 Oktober 1981), Wien, 605-614



Your comments:


Google search inside the site